How do I obtain temporary tags to transport a vehicle?

You must go to your state’s motor vehicle office to receive temporary tags before you can complete a car registration. Reasons for needing temporary tags include a lost title or a vehicle that needs to be fixed before it passes inspection. Bring any documentation that you have, such as a Bill of Sale or mechanic's bill to fix a smog check problem--and, of course, proof of identification.

When you purchase a car from a dealer, the dealer will give you temporary tags.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain temporary tags to transport a vehicle?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

46% thumbs up 53% thumbs down (28 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.