How do I obtain a salvage title in Louisiana? Louisiana

When a vehicle becomes damaged to the degree that it would cost more to repair the vehicle than what it is worth, it is considered a salvage vehicle. Once an insurance company has deemed your vehicle a salvage vehicle, you must apply for a salvage title within 30 days.

Required Documents and Fees for Salvage Titles

In order to obtain a salvage title, submit the following to an Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) branch (the same place where you'd handle vehicle registration):

  • Completed vehicle application form.
  • Current title or statement of origin from the manufacturer.
  • Statement of loss from your insurance company.
  • UCC-1 financing statement or security agreement, in the case of a lien.
  • Notarized authorization from the insurance company for vehicle parts to be salvaged or rebuilt.
  • Completed Disclosure of Salvage Vehicle form.
  • $18.50 title fee.
  • $8 handling fee.
  • $15 lien recording fee, in the case of a lien.
The handling fee may vary, depending on branch location. The vehicle application and title must be clearly marked “Salvage Title.” A bill of sale is not required for a salvage title.

Thinking of Buying a Rebuilt Auto?

When you use salvaged parts to build or repair another car, that car is considered a "rebuilt auto." Prior to purchasing used cars, consider obtaining a vehicle history report (VHR).

You can obtain a VHR online, courtesy of many independent companies that specialize in providing vehicle history information. You can also request a vehicle history report from the OMV:

Louisiana OMV
P.O. Box 64866
Baton Rouge, LA 70896
(225) 925-6146

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain a salvage title in Louisiana?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.