How do I complete a title transfer in Maine? Maine

In Maine, the title transfer and car registration processes are linked. In other words, whether you bought your vehicle from a dealer or a private seller, you'll handle both at the same time by following these instructions.

How to Apply for a ME Car Title and Registration

  1. Visit your town clerk's office, and pay the excise tax surcharge.
  2. Dealer purchases only: Bring the green dealer's certificate, blue title application (if your car is no more than 15 years old), white and yellow copy of the registration application, and acceptable proof of insurance.
  3. Private sale purchases only: Bring the bill of sale, properly assigned title (if your car is no more than 15 years old), white and yellow copy of the registration application, and acceptable proof of insurance
  4. Pay the $33 car title fee (private sale only).
  5. Pay the applicable registration fees.
  6. Pay the 5% Maine sales tax (private sale only).
Most of the time, you can complete all the steps at the town clerk's office. But, some offices can't process all the steps. If that happens to you, just pay the excise tax, take your receipt, and go to a BMV branch office to complete the remaining required steps.

Getting a Vehicle History Report

Did you know a vehicle history report (VHR) can facilitate the buy car/sell car process when dealing with used cars?

That's because buyers can use the information (the complete vehicle history) given on these reports to make a quicker, smarter decision about a car. And, for sellers, having a VHR to show prospective buyers can ease some of their fears about your car, and lead to a solid offer on the spot.

Need to Know More About ME Titles?

There are all sorts of title transactions, with each having its own set of instructions to follow. To learn more about these other title transfers, contact the BMV at (207) 624-9000 ext. 52149.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I complete a title transfer in Maine?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.