How do I obtain a salvage title in Michigan? Michigan

To apply for your salvage title, you must complete, sign, and submit the Application for Original Michigan Salvage Title ((TR-12) form. Be sure to include the $15 salvage title fee, as well as any sales tax that's due.

In many cases, your insurance company will be involved in the process. If your insurer permits you to keep your salvaged car, the company will complete the application in your name. You must then sign the application, and submit it to the SOS along with the car's title.

Older Vehicles

The SOS discourages obtaining a salvage title for vehicles older than six model years, as it's not required. However, you can apply for a salvage title for a vehicle in this age bracket.

Where to Send the Salvage Title Form?

Simply submit the form and your fees to a SOS office. Or, mail everything to:

Michigan Department of State
Out of State Resident Services Unit
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918

MI Vehicle Inspections

You must have a salvage title before you can transport/tow the vehicle. Once you have this, your vehicle must pass an inspection by a police officer trained in giving these examinations before your vehicle can be driven on public roads.

Get a Vehicle History Report

Shopping for used cars? It's smart to purchase a vehicle history report (VHR) before making your decision. A VHR gives you a glimpse into the car's past, and lets you have a better idea of what you'll be getting for your money.

Other Questions About Titles

Have a questions about a rebuilt auto title? Or, maybe when a bill of sale is needed?

For these and other title-related matters, contact the SOS at (888) SOS-MICH or (888) 767-6424 to get your answers.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain a salvage title in Michigan?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.