How do I complete a title transfer in Minnesota? Minnesota

Buy Car in MN and Title Transfer

Here's what to do:

  • Complete the title, making sure to include your name, date and address. If there's more than one owner, use one of the following conjunctions between the names: "AND," OR," AND/OR." 
  • Visit your local DVS office with the completed title, proof of insurance and, if applicable, lien release.
  • Pay title fee. Depending on your situation you may be charged one or several of the following fees: $8 title fee; $10 transfer tax; $8.50 filing fee. 

Sell Car in Minnesota and Title Transfer

If you're selling a car, you'll need to:

  • Sign the car title and complete the date of sale.
  • Include an odometer reading if the vehicle is 10 years old or older.
  • Include a damage disclosure if the car is six years old or newer.
  • Provide the buyer an Affidavit of Sale (fancy name for bill of sale). This can be downloaded from the DVS's website. Make a copy for your own records.

Do not remove the license plates. In Minnesota they stay with the vehicle, regardless of owner.

Used Cars, Titles and the Importance of Checking Vehicle History

Before agreeing to buy a used car, be sure to first order a vehicle history report. This will allow you to make a confident decision on whether to buy or not. These reports, which can be ordered online, will provide you with a vehicle's entire history, including repair records, number of owners, service use (rental, taxi) and more.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I complete a title transfer in Minnesota?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.