How do I complete a title transfer in New Mexico? New Mexico

Completing a title transfer in New Mexico requires signing and submitting the proper forms. This bears especially true if you're the buyer.

NM Title Transfer if You Buy Car

After purchasing the vehicle, you will need to visit your local MVD field office to title and register the vehicle. In New Mexico, titling and registering occurs simultaneously. When you arrive, you'll need to present:

  • The vehicle's title, assigned to you by the seller. 
  • A bill of sale, only if the price and purchase date is not recorded on the title. 
  • A completed Application for Vehicle Title and Registration (MVD form 10002).
  • A completed Odometer Disclosure Statement (MVD form 10187), only if the mileage is not recorded on the title.  
  • Proof of valid car insurance.
  • Proof of identity.
  • Proof of New Mexico residency.  
  • Payment for title and registration fees. 

NM Title Transfer if You Sell Car

Your paperwork, compared to the buyer, is modest at most. All you'll need to do is:

  • Sign the car title over to the buyer.  
  • Record the milage on the title. Or, if not, complete an Odometer Disclosure Statement (MVD form 10187).
  • Remove the license plates. You'll then have 30 days from the recorded sale date to either transfer the plates to another vehicle, under your name and of the same class, or surrender to the MVD. 

Used Cars, Titles and the Importance of a Vehicle History Report

When car shopping, always check a car's vehicle history before writing a check. A vehicle history report, which can be easily ordered online, allows you to buy or walk away with confidence. You'll learn the vehicle's service records, accident reports, number of owners and much more.  

Ordering a vehicle history report is also wise if you're the seller. With it you can counter buyer-suspicions and reduce the possibility for haggling.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I complete a title transfer in New Mexico?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.