How do I replace a lost title or a damaged car title in SC? South Carolina

As your proof of legal ownership, your vehicle title is a very important document. You should keep your vehicle registration card in your car's glove compartment, but your title should be kept in a safe deposit box or other location.

You will need the title when you want to sell your vehicle (you must complete a title transfer, after all); providing the buyer with a bill of sale or vehicle history report is not sufficient.

Obtaining Duplicate SC Titles

If you have lost or damaged your car title, you can request a duplicate title by visiting the nearest South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office or mailing a completed copy of Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration to the address listed on the form.

Don't forget to provide your vehicle odometer mileage reading and any current lien information; the duplicate title must be sent to the lienholder if you have an auto loan that has not yet been repaid.

You will be expected to pay a $15 fee in order to receive a replacement for your lost title.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I replace a lost title or a damaged car title in SC?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.