How do I obtain a salvage title in South Carolina? South Carolina

The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) states that a vehicle must be declared a total loss if it sustains damages of 75% or more of its fair market value. The vehicle then requires a salvage title unless one of the following conditions apply:

  • The vehicle is worth less than $2,000.
  • It was previously titled as an antique vehicle.
  • The vehicle is non-rebuildable.
  • The vehicle has damages that are less than 75% of its value, with no water or fire damage.
Please keep in mind that a salvage brand can never be removed from your vehicle title. The type of salvage brand listed on the title may change if you later decide to have it declared a rebuilt auto, but this indication of damage will still appear whenever someone requests a vehicle history report (VHR) for your car, as these reports show the entire vehicle history.

Obtaining a salvage title for used cars when it is not necessary will have a direct impact on the fair market value of your vehicle if you decide to sell it at some point in the future.

NOTE: If you do decide to have it declared a rebuilt auto, please contact your local SC DMV branch for information about titling requirements, such as a receipt or bill of sale for all parts used.

Applying for Salvage Titles in SC

If your insurance company declares your vehicle a total loss after an accident, it will go through the process of obtaining a salvage title from the SC DMV.

If you decide to keep the vehicle yourself, however, you will need to submit the following documents in order to obtain a salvage title for your vehicle registration:

  • Your vehicle title.
  • A completed title application in your name. Section 8 of this form should indicate that the vehicle is rebuildable and describe how the vehicle sustained the damage.
  • A letter from your insurance company, which says your vehicle has been declared a total loss and was turned over to you.
  • A signed copy of Form TR-3, if the company choose to declare the vehicle a total loss when it had sustained less than 75% of the fair market value or if the fair market value of the vehicle was less than $2,000.
  • Payment for your $15 title fee.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain a salvage title in South Carolina?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.