How do I obtain first time vehicle registration in Tennessee? Tennessee

After purchasing a vehicle, you must, before taking it on the road, apply for a vehicle registration and, obviously, obtain license plates. You must apply in person with your County Clerk.

Register Car in TN

When you arrive at your County Clerk's office, be sure to have:

  • A properly assigned car title.
  • An Odometer Disclosure Statement for vehicles 10 years old and newer.
  • Proof of valid car insurance.
  • Proof of identity.
  • Proof of Tennessee residency.
  • Your current registration (only if you recently relocated to Tennessee or if you're transferring your license plates to a new vehicle under your name).
  • Proof of emissions testing, if applicable.
  • Payment for the registration fee, which varies with each county. For help in pinpointing an exact rate, call your County Clerk.

Car Registration After Relocating to Tennessee

You must register your car with your County Clerk, not the DOR, within 30 days of establishing residency. Be sure to bring two proofs of your Tennessee address.

Smog and Emissions Testing in TN

Only residents of the following counties must provide proof of a smog check when registering: Davidson, Hamilton, Rutherford, Shelby, Sumner, Williamson and Wilson. For emissions inspection questions, call (866) 329-9632.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain first time vehicle registration in Tennessee?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.