How do I obtain a salvage title in Virginia? Virginia

Virginia (VA) salvage titles for used cars are obtained through the VA Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Visit a local DMV office and request a Salvage Certificate Application (Form VSA 56).

The form is also available for download at the DMV website.

Additional documents you need to apply for a salvage title are:

  • An estimate of the auto repair costs.
  • List of the damages made to the motor vehicle.
  • Bill of sale (becomes part of the vehicle history).

Completing the VA Salvage Title Certificate

To complete the form provide:

  1. Your first and last names.
  2. Social Security number.
  3. Street mailing address (including city, state, and zip code).
  4. Lienholder name and address (if the motor vehicle is financed).
  5. Odometer reading.
  6. Make, model, weight, and year of the motor vehicle.
  7. Vehicle identification number (VIN).
  8. Your signature and the date at the bottom of the application. If the motor vehicle has a co-owner, that person must also sign and date the application.
Also be sure to indicate whether the auto experienced water damage.

Pay the $10 title fee. Include a copy of the auto title with the application. Mail the application and the titling fee to:

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 27412
Richmond, VA  23269

The title and application will become part of the vehicle history report (VHR). If you fix the salvaged vehicle and later sell it as a rebuilt auto to be registered, you must give the buyer a copy of the VHR.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I obtain a salvage title in Virginia?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.