Does Wisconsin require an inspection for vehicle registration? Wisconsin

No. Your car won't need to complete an inspection for a typical vehicle registration.

However, it may have to pass an emissions inspection later; keep reading for the details.

WI Smog Check/Emissions Testing

This only affects those who keep their vehicles primarily in these counties:

  • Kenosha
  • Milwaukee
  • Ozaukee
  • Racine
  • Sheboygan
  • Washington
  • Waukesha
Again, even if this does include you, the testing doesn't need to be completed prior to registering your car. Instead, the testing must be completed before your car registration renewal date. Or, if you're registering a car that's more than five model years old, you must have it inspected within 45 days after you register it.

More Smog and Emissions Testing Details

The smog test is for cars manufactured post-1995 that run on gas or an alternative fuel, and have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of fewer than 8,501 pounds. Diesel-fueled vehicles made after 2006 or that weigh between 8,501 pounds and 14,000 pounds also face testing.

The DMV notifies you (via your renewal notice) when your car must be tested. You can also find this information on the DMV site. Your vehicle can complete the tests up to 180 days before its registration renewal date at one of the nine inspection stations in southeastern Wisconsin.

If your car fails the emissions test, you must make the necessary repairs. If it still can't pass the inspection before the renewal date, it's registration will be suspended.

Other Register Car Matters

Should you have other questions regarding a vehicle registration (including the applicable registration fees), contact the DMV at (608) 266-1466.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Does Wisconsin require an inspection for vehicle registration?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.