Can I get an extension to renew expired tags?

Many states allow you do this, particularly if you're unable to renew your registration due to being outside the state or stationed in the military.

To find out for sure, contact your state's motor vehicle division, or look at the state's Web site. Keep in mind, though, you may be able to renew your tags by phone or online, so you don't necessarily have to handle this task in person. And, you can generally take care of your registration renewal a few months in advance, so there's no need to deal with a vehicle registration deadline that's inconvenient for you.

Just make sure you don't take a chance and drive with an expired vehicle registration. Besides being illegal, you could get nailed with a hefty fine that far exceeds the cost of the renewal.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Can I get an extension to renew expired tags?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

83% thumbs up 16% thumbs down (12 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.