Upon becoming a resident, how long do I have to apply for a new drivers license?

That depends on where you live, as each state has different requirements. Many states, though, give you 30 days after becoming a resident to switch your drivers license over to your new state. California gives new residents only 10 days to get a drivers license, while North Carolina allows you 60 days before you need to apply.

Although the relocation process is tiring and full of tasks that need to be completed, you shouldn't neglect your DMV responsibilities. This not only includes your driver's license, but your registration, as well. In order to save yourself time, frustration, and perhaps penalties, find out exactly how long you have to get your new license and registration, as well as the paperwork and fees required.

You should be able to find this information on your new state's DMV Web site; if not, just call your local branch.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Upon becoming a resident, how long do I have to apply for a new drivers license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

45% thumbs up 54% thumbs down (11 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.