What are my options for license plate sticker renewal?

The exact procedures for license plate sticker renewal depend on your state of residence. You can find this information by visiting your state's DMV Web site under the heading "Registration Renewal." Since it's an annual topic with most drivers, all states are extremely forthcoming with information on this topic.

Most states will send you a renewal notification card approximately one to two months prior to your registration's expiration date. Most do this by regular mail, others by e-mail. All the information you'll need to know for how to renew will be on this notice. This includes fee, due date and mailing address. You may, depending on state, be given the option to renew online. 

If you've forgotten to renew and the expiration date is just a few days away, you should consider renewing in person. This way you'll immediately receive your new registration certificate and license plate stickers (also known as tags). Otherwise, if you renew by mail it can take anywhere from one to two weeks to receive your certificate and tags, putting you at risk of getting pulled over and ticketed for driving with an expired registration. 

If you're approaching you're renewal date and you renew online, some states will e-mail back a receipt, which can be used as temporary registration verification until your new certificate and stickers arrive in the mail. But verify with your state before pursuing this option. 

Keep in mind that you're not cleared of registration responsibilities if you do not receive a renewal notification. This often results from drivers moving to a new location and failing to notify the DMV of their new mailing address. Should you not receive a renewal notice, contact your local DMV office. You'll either be sent a notice or informed on how to proceed with the registration process.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What are my options for license plate sticker renewal?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

60% thumbs up 40% thumbs down (5 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.