What are the requirements to obtain a Commercial Class B License?

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 set the minimum standards each state driver's licensing agency must adhere to when awarding commercial licenses, including a Class B license.

According to this Act, you must have a clean driving record, and be able to pass a physical exam to qualify. Additionally, you must understand English enough to comprehend road signs, write reports, and communicate with law enforcement and the public. If you'll be driving interstate, you'll need to be at least 21 years old. If you'll only be driving within your state's borders, you may be able to obtain a Class B CDL if you're at least 18.

However, that's up to your state. And, your state driver's license agency may impose more stringent restrictions or additional CDL requirements than those mentioned in the Act.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What are the requirements to obtain a Commercial Class B License?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

0% thumbs up 100% thumbs down (1 vote)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.