How do I apply for a temporary license?

There are huge differences from state to state about this matter, so it's impossible to give a single answer. You'll need to visit your state's drivers license agency site to get this information, or call the department directly (you can find the number on the site).

No matter where you live, you'll need to pass a written exam that will test your driving knowledge. The information on this test varies, but it will likely include questions about driving laws in your state, situational driving, parking requirements, road signs, and other driving safety matters.

Additionally, you'll need pass a vision test, and complete a permit application. Your parents or guardians may have to be with you at the license branch office.

Your state dictate the minimum age needed to take this test.  And, you may need to be enrolled - or have completed - a driver education class to be eligible for the exam.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I apply for a temporary license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.