What is a Class C license?

It depends on the state. Different states use the term “Class C” to describe a certain type of license. In states like Oregon, a Class C license is a regular drivers license enabling you to drive a regular passenger vehicle. 

Some other states call a type of commercial driver’s license a Class C license. Massachussetts’ Class C is for drivers of 16 passenger vans and hazardous materials.  California, on the other hand, has two types of Class C licenses. The Commercial Class C is for hazardous materials drivers, and California’s non-commercial Class C is for everyday drivers.

If you would like to get a commercial drivers license, contact the commercial drivers licensing department of your state motor vehicle office. They will tell you which terminology they use. If you would like to get a regular drivers license, follow the directions for obtaining a new drivers license in your state.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What is a Class C license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

50% thumbs up 50% thumbs down (8 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.