How do I get a chauffeurs license?

How you get a chauffeurs license varies by state. A chauffeurs license is a special license used by drivers who transport passengers for a fee. It may be classified as a taxicab drivers license also. 

Rhode Island requires that you have a commercial drivers license with a chauffeur endorsement; an endorsement is like a specialty. To get the chauffeur endorsement, you have to pass written and road tests and hold a regular Rhode Island license for at least two years before application. In Florida, you have to get a commercial driver’s license with a passenger (P) endorsement.

In Washington D.C., cab drivers as well as chauffeurs get a chauffeurs license. Here you must supply a drivers record, criminal clearance with an FBI background check, fingerprints, proof of U.S. residency or legality, letters of reference, and a year’s worth of D.C.-licensed driving.

California requires drivers who transport more than 10 people to get a commercial drivers license; a regular chauffeur who drives fewer than 10 people simply needs a standard Class C non-commercial drivers license.

And in some states, like Hawaii, no chauffeur’s license is required at all.

States do charge extra fees for having a chauffeurs drivers license. The fee varies widely among the states. Washington, D.C., for example, charges $41.50 for the FBI background check and a $46 fee.


Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How do I get a chauffeurs license?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

62% thumbs up 37% thumbs down (8 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.