Can I do a tag transfer from one of my vehicles to another?

Yes, certain states allow you to do a tag transfer, or license plate transfer, from one vehicle to another. Georgia, for example, allows you to put your old license plates on your newly acquired car within 30 days. Wisconsin allows tag transfers with the submittal of an application. Oregon allows transfers and charges $6.

Some states restrict the types of plates that can be transferred. Alaska only allows specialized plates, such as veteran, disabled, Children’s Trust, exempt, and non-profit plates, to be transferred. California also has a similar rule in place. 

Missouri allows its customers to transfer plates from a car to a car, or a truck to a truck. You cannot transfer plates from a car to a truck or a truck to a car. Maryland allows transfers, as long as you don’t keep the old vehicle; whether you junk it, sell it, or give it away.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "Can I do a tag transfer from one of my vehicles to another?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

42% thumbs up 57% thumbs down (7 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.