What is required to obtain an abandoned vehicle title?

Obtaining an abandoned vehicle title for a vehicle left on your property is usually a joint process between the DMV and law enforcement. To find the specific requirements for your state, try contacting your local DMV office. You'll either be given the exact requirements or directed to your local law enforcement agency. 

Though exact abandoned vehicle requirements vary with each state, they generally all begin with determining if the abandoned vehicle is stolen. Most police agencies will handle the search, based on the vehicle identification number (VIN). If the vehicle is deemed abandoned, a public notice will be posted, giving the last registered owner anywhere from 30 to 60 days to make a claim (the exact number of days depends on state). If no one responds to the notice, you'll be then given the green light to begin filing car title forms with your DMV. In most instances you will need a notice or form from the police declaring that the vehicle has been officially categorized as abandoned. Otherwise you will not be allowed to proceed with the titling process.

Keep in mind that depending on the laws of your area, your municipality may have the right to take custody of the vehicle even if it was abandoned on your property. Be sure to know the rules before pursuing the abandoned vehicle's title.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "What is required to obtain an abandoned vehicle title?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

87% thumbs up 12% thumbs down (8 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

DMVAnswers.com (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. DMVAnswers.com does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on DMVAnswers.com is not legal advice, DMVAnswers.com is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.