How can I run a License Plate Check?

Running a license plate check on a particular vehicle is an easy process. All that's required is a computer and either the license plate number or the vehicle identification number (VIN). If records are available you'll usually be provided with the owner's name and address and the vehicle's make, model and tag expiration date. 

Running a license plate search comes in handy if you're the victim of a hit-and-run accident. Or if you need to contact someone parked in your private parking space, or for finding information on an abandoned vehicle on your property. 

Michigan is one of only a few states to offer an online license plate check search service on its DMV Web page. If your state does not offer this service, you can find out more about running a license plate check to search for the license plate number on a particular vehicle at   

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How can I run a License Plate Check?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

17% thumbs up 82% thumbs down (17 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.