How can I see my driving record for free?

In case you have a suspended license you should check your driver's license status. The best and most efficient means for doing this is by obtaining a copy of your driving record (also referred to as a driving abstract or a DMV record).

You have three options for obtaining a free driving record:

1) Visit your local DMV office. A DMV agent should be able to instantly provide you with a copy of your driving abstract. But before visiting, call ahead and ask if any fees are involved. Some states offer driving records for free, while others charge for the service. 

2) Go online and obtain a driving abstract through your state or a third party. To determine how you can obtain a free driving record online, visit your state's DMV Web site. Some, not all, offer online driving record applications. If the option is available you'll be instructed, before submitting a request, whether or not a fee is required.  

Or to save time, you can order a free driving record through a third party.

3) Take a chance and request a free driving abstract from your insurance company. Since it needs your driving record to determine your rates, it will have one on file. But not every company will honor this request. Often policies regarding this vary by agent.

Visitor Comments

  • Posted by Rafael Nunez on July 30th, 2010

    the webside is very helpfull

Post Comment for " How can I see my driving record for free?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

77% thumbs up 22% thumbs down (9 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.