How can I get my DUI charges reduced?

Having a DUI or DWI conviction can haunt you for years. Besides the inconvenience it causes from losing your driving privileges, it's also costly. Just consider the fines and license reinstatement fees you'll pay. And, of course, the higher insurance premiums, too. Plus, your drunk driving conviction is a black mark on your driving record, where employers, potential employers, creditors, insurance companies, and others can see it. And, of course, there's simply the stigma of having a DUI conviction.

Because of all this, it's smart to provide yourself with the best defense possible following your DUI or DWI arrest. Doing so may mean you'll see some charges or penalties reduced - or even eliminated. Many experts feel hiring a DUI lawyer experienced in contesting DUI charges is a wise move, especially if you're a first-time offender.

DUI laws - and their associated penalties - vary by state. By volunteering to complete a DUI class or perform community service, you might impress the judge enough to give you a more lenient sentence. But, in other situations, this won't do you any good in terms of reducing your punishment.

While there are many successful types of DUI offenses, the following are among the most common:

  • Questioning the reliability of any chemical tests given.
  • Debating the accuracy of any field sobriety tests performed.
  • Attacking the credibility of the arresting officer or other witnesses.
  • Questioning whether there was probable cause to stop your vehicle.
  • Looking for other errors in the paperwork or arrest processes.
Again, though, if you're using any of these defenses, it's better to do it with legal counsel who is skilled in spotting and proving these imperfections.

Visitor Comments

No visitor comments posted. Post a comment

Post Comment for "How can I get my DUI charges reduced?"

To post a comment for this article, simply complete the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required.

User Opinions

100% thumbs up 0% thumbs down (2 votes)

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.

Continue (the Site) is a privately owned, for-profit Web site owned by OnlineGURU, Inc. The Site specifically disclaims any and all connection with any state bureau, division, or Department of Motor Vehicles, or any state or federal government agency. does its best to get the correct information but does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. It is not complete or certified information. The information provided on is not legal advice, is not a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same. For official information, please consult your state motor vehicle department.